Monday, November 23, 2020

Pumpkin Muffins

If you weren't sure yet, my favorite time of year is autumn.

There's a crisp chill in the air and it's a little bit rainy - everything about it just feels cozy. 

One of my favorite days of the year also happens during autumn, Thanksgiving. 

When I was little I remember my family had a big Thanksgiving meal a couple of times, but what I really remember is that a few years we went to the movies and had pizza for dinner. I loved those moments of just me, my siblings, and my parents just simply having a good time. 

When I got older, we had more traditional Thanksgiving meals with more people with the big turkey and all the works - stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, roasted squash, green beans, and cranberry sauce and of course trying to get the perfect bite of everything at once. 

Even though we were stuffed more than the turkey there was always plenty of dessert with a choice of pecan pie and pumpkin pie. Pecan pie is delicious and I could go for a slice right now, but there's just something about the pumpkin pie that makes me happy. 

The sweet rich flavor of the pumpkin enhanced by the cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove all come together in a creamy custardy pie, it's the perfect way to end off Thanksgiving.

Being that this week is Thanksgiving I thought it would be appropriate to make a #muffinmonday reminiscent of those pumpkin pie flavors. 

For this recipe, you can use a can of pumpkin puree or make your own - which is really simple to do! (see below)*

Pumpkin Muffins 

2 cups flour 

1 Tbs baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda 

3/4 tsp salt 

1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

    OR 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp nutmeg + 1/8 tsp ground cloves 

1/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla 

1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree or 2 cups of homemade puree (recipe below)

1/4 cup oil 

2 Tbs milk of your choice 

Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C 

Spray a standard-size muffin pan with oil or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice. Add the sugars, eggs, vanilla, pumpkin puree, oil, and milk. Mix until just combined and smooth. Scoop into prepared the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Yield: 1 dozen standard-size muffins 

Pumpkin or Squash Puree 

Bring a pot of water to a boil. 

Take a 700-800 grams / about 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash or a piece of pumpkin (those in Israel you know what I'm talking about) 

Peel and cut into about 1-inch cubes/chunks. You should have about 3 cups of cubes.

Add the cubes to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and puree in a food processor, blender, or by hand with a potato masher or even a fork. 

Allow the puree to cool to room temperature before making the muffins. 

Yield: about 2 cups pumpkin/squash puree



1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! We arent eating it for a couple more hours and I have yet to put in the coconut milk. But what I have tasted is awesome! Thanks for the recipe!!!
    Jayme Silvestri

    ReplyDelete