Monday, July 20, 2020

Mango Muffins

It's mango season here in Israel and I am so happy because we get to enjoy this delicious fruit from now all the way until around October. During these hot summer months, I always have mangoes on hand because they make for a great snack, a sweet and tangy salsa on grilled meats and fish, mixed into yogurt, the list goes on and on.



I know many people find mangoes delicious when they are ice cold and I do agree, but I happen to have a very fond memory of enjoying hot mangoes warmed by the sun. Seven years ago I was a counselor on a summer program and we went jeeping in northern Israel. At one point the jeep drivers stopped in a field of mango trees. They handed us ripe mangoes straight from the tree and they were so warm from the Israeli summer sun that it just enhanced the sweetness of these delicious mangoes.

I was remembering those warm mangoes and got me thinking maybe I should add mangoes to a muffin to have a warm sweet treat.
Another fruit that is in season now is limes and I use that citrus all year long by stashing whole limes in my freezer so I can have the juice and the flavorful zest even when the season is over.
Mangoes and limes are a match made in heaven, that bright citrus with the sweet fruit is a great combo that makes me feel like I'm relaxing on some tropical island. For these muffins, I combined the great flavors of mango and lime and then ran with the tropical theme by topping them with coconut flakes that add great texture and flavor.


Mango Muffins 
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk of your choice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon for topping
1 cup finely diced mango, about 1 medium mango
1/3 cup coconut shavings



Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C
Line a standard-size muffin pan with paper cups or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a liquid measuring cup mix together the milk, lime juice, oil, vanilla, and the egg. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry along with the lime zest and the sugar. Mix until just combined and then fold in the diced mango.


Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and top with the coconut and sprinkle with the one tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 18-22 minutes.



Yield: 12 standard size muffins







No comments:

Post a Comment