Monday, February 15, 2021

Chocolate Strawberry Muffins

Thirteen years ago I became an aunt. My twin nephews were born on February 15, 2008, and I can not believe how fast time has gone by that they are now thirteen years old! 

I am so grateful for the relationship I have with my nephews and I know that one of the reasons we are so close is because I was lucky enough to make aliyah with my nephews and my brother and sister in law 8 1/2 years ago. 

This past year has been challenging for everyone, but I am so thankful that I got to spend 10 weeks of 2020 with my nephews. The lockdowns were difficult, but I look back on them realizing that I would never have had the opportunity to spend so much time with my nephews and I'm so thankful that I have them here with me in Israel. I have been able to watch them grow up from adorable little boys into incredible (and goofy) young men. 

In honor of their birthday, I thought to combine each of their favorite treats into a muffin. Yehuda has always loved strawberries, he can devour a whole carton in one sitting and he gets so excited every year when strawberry season comes around. Shmuel is a major chocoholic if there's chocolate involved Shmuel is there!


Strawberries and chocolate are each great on their own, but they also work so well together. The sweet and tart flavors of the strawberries go great with the richness of the chocolate. They are kind of like the two boys that love these foods so much. Yehuda and Shmuel are amazing, sweet, caring, and funny individuals, but together that's just a combination that can't be beat!

Happy 13th Birthday Hu and Shmu! Love, Your favorite (Israeli) Aunt xoxo


Chocolate Strawberry Muffins 

2 cups flour 

1/2 cups cocoa powder 

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda 

3/4 tsp salt 

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup milk of your choice 

1/4 cup oil 

2 eggs 

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup chopped strawberries - about 8 medium 

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C
Grease a standard-size muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper liners. 

In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Add the sugar, milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until just combined. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.  
Fill the prepared muffin pan with the batter and sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top of each muffin. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

Yield: 12 standard-size muffins 


No comments:

Post a Comment